Wednesday, November 2, 2011

EDUC 6000 - Week 10

When Dr. Luck explained that I was to work with someone from I.T., he didn't say that every assignment had to be successful.  That's a good thing, since yesterday was definitely not a successful day.  I had planned to work on a pivot table, but we didn't have all the data that was requested from the field staff.  Instead, I worked with Sonny on reimaging a computer.  I have heard our I.T. staff use that term before, but I didn't really know what they meant.  After spending several hours on it, I still don't know what they meant, because we couldn't get it to work.  It had been a long time since Sonny had done this, so we asked for help from another I.T. person.  Part of the process involved burning some backup discs from our network drive.  We actually ended up burning several sets because the discs didn't work.  I finally narrowed it down to the second disc being corrupted and reburned it again.  I got started on validating the backups again before I left for the day.   At a little after 4, Sonny called me to let me know that the problem was that you had to remove a partition from the hard drive on computers that have Windows 7 on them before the computer can be reimaged.  Unfortunately, the person that we asked for help never metioned that.  Needless to say, this was a completely nonproductive day.  As Sonny said, we worked our behinds off and didn't get anything accomplished.  "Momma said they'll be days like this...."

No comments:

Post a Comment